Monday, January 18, 2010

Khayelitsha Township by Jeanita

Today we visited our second township, Khayelitsha. As I walked around the township I saw numerous shacks, and some would called this an impoverished area or the ghetto. However, I saw a community not simply a township, which has not forgotten the hardship of apartheid, but embraces the future. Before I continue, I deem it necessary to differentiate between a community and a township. In my opinion, a township describes an impoverished area where blacks live in shacks. However, a community is where a group of people work together to not only empower themselves, but also the next generation. Thus, I will no longer refer to Khayelitsha as a township, but rather a community.

This community has over one million residents, but one resident inspired me greatly and her name is Mama Thope. Mama Thope is an entrepreneur who turned her garage into a bed and breakfast. I had the opportunity to have lunch at Mama Thope’s bed and breakfast and the food was great. I was also impressed with the design of the garage, in which over ten flags was displayed along the walls including the United States. Mama Thope joked that she has had the United Nations in her home. However, I was more impressed with the story of why Mama Thope deemed it necessary to start a bed and breakfast. She stated that many tourists would come in vans and view Khayelitsha and take pictures, but did not understand the history of the community. The bed and breakfast not only allows tourists to learn about Khayelitsha, but gives tourists the option to stay in the community over night to provide a realistic experience of life in the community.

Mama Thope has not concealed the secrets to her success from her neighbors, but has also showed others how to start a bed and breakfast. Mama Thope is not afraid of competition from her neighbors, but rather thinks of it as empowering others to improve their economic status. I was truly inspired by her overwhelming generosity and thought to myself where would this world be if we all empowered each other. Thus, Mama Thope is more than an entrepreneur, but also an innovator and a humanitarian. I would never forget the valuable lesson I learned that day, which is to empower others.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading about your volunteer placement. I hope you took lots of pictures of the kids.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete